Monday, July 13, 2009

Video, photos, and music sharing with my phone

I have a snazzy new geek-phone, a Shuttle from Virgin Mobile. It has a 4GB MicroSD slot so files can be exchanged with my Xubuntu system.

  • Phone Video is in .3G2 format. The video plays in Totem, but the sound doesn't. YouTube properly uploads and converts the .3G2 videos (no need to share by e-mail). I plan to archive the .3G2 videos in their original format. This command successfully converts the .3G2 to a .avi for viewing by totem:
    $ mencoder media/disk/my_flix/inputfile.3g2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o Videos/outputfile.avi
  • Computer Video Haven't figured out the right command to convert movies to .3G2 yet.
  • Phone Pictures are in .jpg format. Xubuntu's standard Image Viewer is very effective for weeding through them.
  • Computer Pictures Large pictures take a long time to show up - a 2.4 MB image froze the phone for 30 seconds. The following script uses Imagemagick to resize the photos to a smaller size:
    $ convert Pictures/filename -size 320x240 /media/disk/my_pix/filename.jpg
    
  • Computer Music My FLAC music needs to be converted to .mp3 to play on the phone. Soundconverter does it, but some results refuse to play...haven't figured out the pattern yet.
  • Important information-
    UUID=5D18-F276  # The 4GB MicroSD Card's UUID. Find using syslog after plugging it in
    /media/disk     # Default mount point
    /dev/sdb1       # Device location
    /dev/sdb1 /media/disk vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,utf8,shortname=winnt,uid=1000 0 0   # /etc/mtab entry for the disk
    
    /media/disk/my_flix   /media/disk/my_music   /media/disk/my_pix    # Available folders
    
    Camera Resolutions: 1280x960 1024x768 640x480 320x240 176x144 160x120
    Video Camera Resolution: 176x144
    Screen Resolution: 220x176, 262k colors
    

No comments: